Garden Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta
When I have garden-fresh Roma tomatoes and basil, this is our one of our favorite ways to eat them. Dinner comes together quickly and you can’t beat the flavor of home-grown tomatoes and basil!
- 3-4 T. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 12 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 16 oz. penne pasta, cooked al-dente
- 10 fresh basil leaves, cut into strips
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (marinate in Italian dressing and grill)
- salt and pepper to taste
Saute garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan until opaque, add diced tomatoes. Simmer covered on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until tomatoes are soft, but not completely broken down. While the tomatoes are simmering, boil the penne pasta to al dente. Slice grilled chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to pan of cooked tomatoes, onions and garlic. Stir to coat chicken. In a large serving bowl, add pasta and coat with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add tomato sauce and chicken to the bowl of pasta. Top with freshly grated Parmesan and sliced basil. Lightly toss, then salt and pepper to taste. Serve with garlic bread and garden salad.
Adapted from “Holly’s Pasta”, from Julia Williams