If you’re anything like me, you’ve been harvesting an abundance of okra from your garden this season and are now on the hunt for mouth-watering recipes to make the most of this versatile veggie. Fear not; I’ve got you covered with a scrumptious round-up of my favorite okra recipes.
From classic Southern dishes to innovative international twists, these recipes will have you falling in love with okra all over again. So, let’s dive right into this flavorful journey and explore some of the best ways to enjoy this garden-fresh gem. Grab your apron and get ready to be inspired!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more information.
You’ve grown it…now what to do with it?
Here are 7 of my favorite recipes for okra.
Okra is a fantastic and versatile veggie, but sometimes we need a little inspiration to make the most of this abundant harvest. That’s why I’ve put together a list of my favorite okra recipes that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. So, without further ado, let’s dive into this delicious collection and discover new ways to enjoy your garden-fresh okra!
- Martha Rose Shulman’s Roasted Okra – I cook it a little bit longer than the recipe states. The thyme in this makes all the difference.
- Tempura Fried Okra Recipe – Tempura takes fried okra to a new level.
- Cheese and Bacon Okra Poppers – I add a chopped jalapeño to the cream cheese; we like these spicy.
- Okra Succotash – Classic summer sidedish; best with garden-fresh tomatoes and corn.
- Grilled Okra – Super simple to throw a few on the grill when you are cooking other things.
- Okra with Tomatoes – This recipe is the best if you have garden-fresh onions, garlic, and tomatoes. Summer on a plate.
- Okra Water – Health benefits and easy preparation. If you don’t cut up the okra, it has a more mild flavor.
More ideas for using okra: Use okra in your favorite recipes.
Adding okra to your favorite recipes that don’t specifically call for it can be a fun and creative way to enjoy this versatile vegetable. Here are some ideas to help you incorporate okra into various dishes:
- Stir-fry: Add sliced okra to your favorite stir-fry mix for an extra crunch and boost of nutrients. It pairs well with bell peppers, onions, and other veggies.
- Pasta dishes: Chop the okra into bite-sized pieces and add it to pasta sauces or toss it with cooked pasta, olive oil, garlic, and your choice of seasonings for a unique twist on your favorite pasta dish.
- Grain bowls: Cooked okra can be a great addition to grain bowls featuring quinoa, rice, or couscous. Combine roasted vegetables, beans, and your preferred dressing for a tasty and nutritious meal.
- Soups and stews: Okra is a natural thickener, making it perfect for soups and stews. Add sliced okra to gumbo, vegetable soup, or chili for added texture and flavor.
- Salads: Fresh, thinly-sliced okra can be mixed into green salads for a crunchy and unique twist. Alternatively, you can lightly sauté the okra and let it cool before adding to the salad.
More ways to use okra into your favorite recipes:
- Omelets and frittatas: Sauté diced okra with onions, bell peppers, and other veggies before adding them to your omelet or frittata mixture for a delicious and healthy breakfast.
- Tacos and burritos: Spice up your taco or burrito game by adding sautéed or grilled okra as a filling, along with your choice of protein and other toppings.
- Pizza: Top your homemade pizza with sautéed or roasted okra slices for a fun and unexpected addition to your favorite pizza recipe.
- Sandwiches and wraps: Add some crunch to your sandwiches and wraps by including fresh or lightly sautéed okra slices along with your choice of protein and other veggies.
- Curries: Okra pairs well with the rich flavors of curries. Simply add it to your favorite curry dishes, such as tomato-based or coconut milk-based curry, for a delightful surprise.
Remember, when adding okra to recipes that don’t call for it, be mindful of its cooking time and adjust accordingly to avoid overcooking. Experiment with these ideas and have fun discovering new ways to enjoy this versatile vegetable in your favorite dishes!
Would you like to learn more about growing okra? This article is a good place to begin.